Join the Cathedral choir
Join the Cathedral choir
As part of our Cathedral choir, Choristers perform around the globe and gain a first-class academic education at the Cathedral school.
Being a Chorister is fun, inspiring and gives children a unique start to life. If you’re between Years 2 and 5 and enthusiastic about singing, read on to find out how to apply to join.
St Paul's Choristers sing Choral Evensong most days during term time as well as Choral Mattins and Sung Eucharist on Sunday morning. They also take part in special services, broadcasts, concerts and tours and study the piano and one other instrument alongside their vocal tuition.
Beyond their music lessons, Choristers follow a normal curriculum, both academic and sporting, and often go on to win major scholarships to schools throughout the country. They attend the Cathedral School as boarders and are looked after by the Headteacher and their staff.
In their first probationary year at the school, Choristers learn about the routines and repertoire of the Choir and are given a firm grounding in vocal technique and sight-reading. Once they have become full choristers, they take a full part in the liturgical life of the Cathedral.
From learning world-class music to taking exciting day trips, hear about what they get up to from the Choristers themselves.
Applying to join
Potential Choristers should be:
- in years 2 to 5, though children usually join us in years 3 or 4
- able to sing and to pitch notes when played on a piano
- happy to board in London (but can be based anywhere in the UK)
- enthusiasm, intelligence and potential are the keys to becoming a St Paul's Chorister. Children are not expected to have a fully developed voice, nor is much formal singing experience necessary.
All Choristers receive 100 per cent school bursaries with means-tested bursaries for boarding fees. Funding is provided by The Chorister Trust, who were established to help children join the choir regardless of the financial position of their families.
How to apply
Auditions for the choir take place throughout the year, and there are a few steps each of our candidates go through to see if they are a good fit.
- Book a Zoom session: Candidates are first invited to join one or our many singalong Zoom sessions run throughout the year. At these sessions, we teach children some fun songs, and they get to meet our choristers and have a virtual tour of the Cathedral and school. The next sessions (all Wednesdays) are on 31 January 2024, 13 March 2024, 8 May 2024 and 19 June 2024. Sessions for boys and their parents are at 6pm, and for girls and their parents are at 6.45pm on each of these dates.
- Learn one of the songs we teach: Candidates should use the backing track to sing along at home. There are two options below, and they can pick their favourite.
- Come for an informal meeting: After the Zoom session, candidates are invited to an informal meeting at which they can sing one of the two practice songs. They can use words, or can sing from memory. If they play an instrument, they can bring that too, but this is not a requirement.
- Come for a formal audition: The formal audition for the choir is much like the informal meeting, with some rhythm and listening games. No preparation is required for this. At this point, we also meet each candidate’s parents or carers to discuss bursaries and boarding at St Paul’s School. Please note that St Paul’s Cathedral School has its own entry requirements, which choristers also need to fulfil.