|Cathedral closed until further notice|
Lieutenant William Makeham
8th Battalion, The Machine Gun Corps
William Makeham, known as Bill, born in Welshpool, Victoria, was in farming when he joined the Machine Gun Section of the 29th Battalion as a Private in July 1915 in Melbourne; shortly afterwards, he left on a troopship for training at the Anzac training camp in Egypt.
Soon promoted to Corporal and again to Sergeant, Bill was then selected for a Machine Gun School Cadetship in 1917, leading to a Commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in 1918, at which point he was sent to France; he was then promoted to the rank of Lieutenant.
Sadly, in April 1918, Bill suffered serious bullet wounds; his injuries led to evacuation to England and the amputation of an arm and a leg.At this point, Bill was admitted to the 2nd Australian Auxiliary Hospital in Southall, which is where he participated in the embroidery of the St Paul’s altar frontal.
Bill returned to Australia by hospital ship in May 1919. He later married Mary and the couple enjoyed many happy years together.
Information courtesy of family member, Dennis Daly.